Join an SSC naturalist for a relaxed-pace wildlife viewing paddle as we explore Little Harbor and its estuarine waters.
Date: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 - Sunday, September 26, 2021
Duration: 3 hours
SSC Member Cost: $45 ages 12 and up; $40 ages 10-11
Non-Member Cost: $65 ages 12 and up; $58 ages 10-11
Age Requirement: Ages 10 and up; ages 10-15 must be accompanied by an adult
Included: kayak, paddle, PFD, orientation, and expert naturalist
Group Size: Up to 12 participants (double and single kayaks available)
About our Wildlife Kayak Tours of Little Harbor and its Estuarine Waters
Your adventure starts with an introduction to coastal wildlife viewing, a safety overview, and a kayaking orientation prior to launch. Once everyone is geared up with their PFD and paddle, you’ll hit the water with our experts, to enjoy a scenic kayak route filled with wildlife, local history, and fantastic coastal views. Seacoast Science Center’s naturalists will help to point out the abundance of life below and above the water – from shorebirds, to seals, fish, crustaceans, and seaweeds. You’ll also learn how to help protect local ecosystems and wildlife in your future kayaking experiences by respecting the space of animals, and leaving no trace.
- Participants will meet at the Seacoast Science Center employee parking lot. Please arrive 15 minutes early so we can prepare and take full advantage of our on-water time! Enter the Odiorne Point State Park main parking lot and go left after the toll booth. We will shuttle you down to the Odiorne Point State Park boat launch. Your ticket includes parking at OPSP; it does not include parking at the boat launch lot.
- Masks are required for the shuttle ride to the boat launch.
- Please bring a drink and snack for our a mid-paddle break.
- Wear water shoes and clothes that can get wet, and remember, it is always cooler at the shore! Sunglasses and a hat are always a great idea too!
- Please apply sunscreen and bug spray prior to joining the group.
- Please note: while we provide a brief tutorial on paddling and safety, these programs are not considered kayak lessons.
- All participants must read and sign a Participation Agreement, Release, and Assumption of Risk. Please read the document in advance. You may bring a singed copy with you or complete the form on site.
Kayak Tour Schedule
See definitions of beginner and intermediate kayaking skills below, as well as the routes map.
|8||9am-12pm||World Ocean Day Paddle!||Beginner-Intermediate|
|13||1-4pm||Piscataqua River via Little Harbor||Intermediate (adults only)|
|17||4-7pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|26||12-3pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|27||1-4pm||Piscataqua River via Little Harbor||Intermediate (adults only)|
|1||4:30-7:30pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|11||12-3pm||Piscataqua River via Little Harbor||Intermediate (adults only)|
|16||3:30-6:30pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|19||5:30-8:30am||Piscataqua River via Little Harbor (sunrise)||Intermediate (adults only)|
|23||4:30-7:30pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|1||5:30-8:30pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point (sunset)||Beginner-Intermediate|
|2||7:30-10:30am||Piscatqua River via Little Harbor (sunrise)||Intermediate (adults only)|
|3||7:30-10:30am||Piscatqua River via Little Harbor (sunrise)||Intermediate (adults only)|
|8||11am-2pm||Piscatqua River via Little Harbor||Intermediate (adults only)|
|17||5:30-8:30am||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point (sunrise)||Beginner-Intermediate|
|30||4:30-7:30pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|12||2:30-5:30pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
|16||6:30-9:30am||Piscataqua River via Little Harbor||Intermediate (adults only)|
|26||2:15-5:15pm||Berrys’ Brook and Frost Point||Beginner-Intermediate|
Beginner: Has never kayaked before, or has minimal experience. Comfortable paddling in calm waters.
Intermediate: Has some kayaking experience, and has been kayaking within the past year. Comfortable in calm to moderately choppy seas.
Proceeds support our Marine Mammal Rescue response and wildlife conservation education.
Wildlife Kayak Tour Routes
Inclement Weather Cancellation
In the event of inclement or predicted severe weather, registered individuals will be personally notified about cancellation as soon as possible. Every effort will be made to reschedule the paddle, or, if unable to attend, a full refund will be issued.
Special thanks to the NH Department of Natural Resources and NH Division of Parks and Recreation, host sites for the kayaking events.