This year, we’re celebrating of 25 years of providing exceptional marine and environmental education in Odiorne Point State Park.
Date: Sunday, March 19, 2017 - Saturday, September 9, 2017
Celebrate with us!
Join us for special programs and events, check out our new exhibits, and get inspired! There is something for everyone!
- Learn about the wonders of our ocean, how we are exploring the deep sea, Odiorne Point State Park and our coastal history, and so more during our 25 weeks of special programs (see schedule below), held March 19-September 9, 2017.
- Take a walk down memory lane at our 25 Years of Progress and Play exhibit in our Learning Studio Gallery to see how the Center has evolved over the years, from its start-up in 1992, to the dynamic institution it is today and post your pledge to help advance ocean health.
- Meet some of the people who have helped us advance our ocean education mission and find out how the Center has impacted the lives of others through our Stewards of the Sea portrait exhibit located throughout the building.
- Participate in our new Blue Stewards Badge Program, launching on April 15. The more you explore and learn, the more badges you earn!
- Take action become a Seacoast Science Center volunteer! Whether you give 25 minutes, 25 hours, or more, you’ll be helping us advance our ocean education mission while having a ton of fun!
- Purchase a Seacoast Science Center 25th Anniversary Commemorative reusable Nalgene water bottle, available in our Nature Store, and help reduce plastic waste.
- Share the ways you are composting, reducing plastic use, reducing energy consumption, or making environmentally sustainable choices to help conserve our ocean on your social media networks and use this hashtag: #HealthyOceanOrBust.
- Join us for our 25th Anniversary FREE Family Fun Day on September 9, 2017.
25 Weeks of Special Programs
Starting March 19, we’re offering 25 weeks of specially-themed programs, which will culminate with our grand community celebration, a FREE 25th Anniversary Family Fun Day, to be held Saturday, September 9, 2017. The special programs take place daily* at 11:00 am and 1:30 pm (3:30pm starting May 1). To take best advantage of events in nature and in our tanks, we will plan programs details each morning based on the themes listed below.
|Week 1||March 19-25||Ocean Explorers|
|Week 2||March 26-April 1||Underwater Exploration|
|Week 3||April 2-8||Pirates!|
|Week 4||April 9-15||Lighthouses and Navigation|
|Week 5||April 16-22||Odiorne Point State Park History|
|Week 6||April 23-29||The Isles of Shoals|
|Week 7||April 30-May 6||Ocean Strata: Sunlit Zone (0-650 ft.)|
|Week 8||May 7-13||Ocean Strata: Twilight Zone (650-3,300 ft.)|
|Week 9||May 14-20||Ocean Strata: Dark Zone (3,300-13,000 ft.)|
|Week 10||May 21-27||Ocean Strata: Abyss (13,000-20,000 ft.)|
|Week 11||May 28-June 3||Habitats of Odiorne: Salt Marsh|
|Week 12||June 4-10||Habitats of Odiorne: Sandy Beach|
|Week 13||June 11-16||Habitats of Odiorne: Rocky Shore|
|Week 14||June 18-24||Habitats of Odiorne: Forest|
|Week 15||June 25-July 1||Habitats of Odiorne: Freshwater Pond|
|Week 16||July 2-8||Ocean Acidification|
|Week 17||July 9-15||Marine Debris and Pollution|
|Week 18||July 16-22||Climate Change and Sea level Rise|
|Week 19||July 23-29||Invasive Species|
|Week 20||July 30-August 5||Sustainable Fisheries|
|Week 21||August 6-12||Art in the Environment|
|Week 22||August 13-19||Healthy Ocean Advocates|
|Week 23||August 20-26||25 Healthy Ocean Actions|
|Week 24||August 27-September 2||Environmental Science Careers|
|Week 25||September 3-9||Our Coastal Environment in 25 Years|
*In the event of heavy school field trip days, visitor program times may change or they may be cancelled. Please check Today’s Schedule on the day of your visit for up-to-date information.
How You Can Help
For 25 years, we’ve been educating people about the ocean and our coastal environment. The ocean is in trouble, and it is our job to help protect it. With your help, we can teach more people, and motive them to become ocean stewards who care about, and for, the future of the sea.
This year, please consider making a donation of $25, $250, or $2,500 in celebration of the Center’s 25th Anniversary of providing exceptional ocean education.
If you are not already a member, please join. You’ll enjoy great benefits, including free admission to the Park and Center all year, free or reduced entry to programs or events, and much more. Plus, you’ll feel great knowing you are supporting our ocean education mission.
Wendy W. Lull: 25 Years of Ocean Education Honorary Sculpture
You can help us honor Wendy Lull (SSC President 1992-2017, retired April 14, 2017) by contributing to a special sculpture that will serve as a lasting tribute to her vision and leadership. For 25 years, Wendy was the driving force for ocean science education on the Seacoast. Donations of $5,000, $1,000, $500, and $250 will be acknowledged on engraved fish that are part of a custom-designed sculpture created by Winter Holben Architecture and Design of Kittery, to be unveiled at our 25th anniversary reception on September 9, 2017. Donations under $250 will be acknowledged on the 2017 Contributions Report.